Popular Posts

Saturday, February 18, 2006

Experiencing Canada

Sliding on snow with the help of long blades are the basic principle of ski. But it is not enough definition of ski for Canadian . It is the issue of prestige as well as passport of being a true Canadian. Montreal,the city of Quebec province, has developed intimacy with ice games since it has snow for almost six months. Most of the people from city would like to spend their weekend on skis. It was my seventh month to be here in Montreal and I heard a lot about the charm of this game but even though I was not able to go there. Finally last weekend I got that chance to experience x-country ski on estern township of Quebec .

I did not have any prior experience of ski neither I had any skill to do it but eventhough I was excited to take part. I was not afraid to fall down on piles of snow but actually I was hoping to do that.Probably, I was mad to be on snow and blast of fun. It was snowing and the visibility was so poor on the ski route. Even though my group, including scholars from ten different countries, had great enthusiasm to learn the skill of ski. The route was not so difficult what I thought before.It was perfectly design for ski ,almost 4.5 km long. First few minutes was flat area and then slope and again flat. Probably the flat areas were for preparing and, down hills were for real enjoyment. We all started from same point but it was quiet difficult to meet the friends on the way except on big down hills. Earlier,there were some instructions from the guide ,which we were following. It was easier to understand but hard to apply. First few minutes were quiet difficult but later legs were moving automatically.

Some of my friends gave up just after few minutes. Many of them broke the snow poles while supporting their bodies. Some felt hard to walk by the blades but luckily I did not face any thing wrong except some minor accidents. More over I supported one of my friend from South Africa by giving my one snow pole since he had broken both. Cold weather, snowing and poor visibility but eventhough strong will power guided me to complete that route. Many of my friends were tired after completing that route but I was not satisfied from that much. To be frank, that aroused my interest.
After taking lunch I decided to continue on more challenging route. Our guide, he supported me to go again. That time we followed more harder route than previous one, more down hills and slippery. It was unbelievable experience flying like in sky.Out side temperature was -15 degree but my body was being wet because of sweating. My mind was concentrate not to fall on hair raising down hills. When I passed the slopes I used to fill that I am moving like a rail on track, speed but smooth and balanced. This time the route was 8 km long, near about twice than previous one but eventhough I felt that was too short.

By the end, my legs were so tired and shaking but eventhough I was so excited to try some more down hills. It was only 5.30 pm. My body was warm and full of sprit. I was thinking to ask my guide, who was a little bit a head in zigzag trail, about to continue. Couples of minute later, I met him taking rest in one point but with on sad mood. Before expressing my plan, he explained me that his legs could not compete with me. I was surprised and proud for seconds that I did excellent performance,but later knew that he has lost his left knee on one big accident during the olympic prepartion of ski.The substituted metal knee started to hurt him . When I knew that I started to feel cold and my whole enthusiasm was lost. I could not open my mouth to request him for further.

No comments: