Popular Posts

Friday, December 23, 2005

Being a Nepali




I was so curious and excited to go USA since I got my visa . Many people would like to go America and see the life of there and few would like to live there for ever.It is consider that the American life and Japanese wife are the best achievement of the life.. Ok no need to explain more about the America and the curiosity about that..

On the 13th Dec I planned to go San franciso through the New york. So I went to took the bus from Montreal to New york. Since having US boarder no body is allow to go without the passport and visa. It is obligatory to show the passport with the tickets. I was on queue for boarding to the bus, a man with coat and tie came and asked me to show the ticket and the passport. When he saw my Nepali passport he was amazed and questioned me that are you Nepali ? I replied "yes". He saw twice to my passport and me.I was confused and asked is everything all right ? He said "No no ..... I met first Nepali guy in my twenty years job career".

I began my Journey to New york by bus. It was my first time to the United States, the country of dream for thousands of People around the world and most developed country.. I had a lot of curiousity to reach there as soon as possible. The bus startes to move from the Montreal and I kept my eyes opened so I could see all the geography and beauty of mother nature surroundings. But there was full of snow all over the ground, so it was difficult to see the vegitation but eventhough I was enjoying on watching the roads and lands. After one and half hour later the bus was stopped on the boarder of the United states.The operator announced to carry all of our belongings with us and claim the luggage which was on down side of bus. I went to present my self in the boarder police with my passports and the return tickets to Montreal. When the officer saw my Nepali passport he also expressed his great curiousity about the country. He asked me where is Nepal ? I was forced to say that it is near the India, in real which I did not prefer to introduce myself by Using the Indian Identity, but there I was no other way." It means there are Musilms ?'' it was his second questions to me. Then I realized that he was concerned only about the security reasons and just want to make sure that whether I am Muslim or not ? then I imagine that how much these people have consider the Muslims as a terroist. I felt very sorry that all the Muslim community has been treating as a terroist. After the question of that police officer I instantly replied that " Nepal is only Hindu Country in the world" .Because I was aware not to loose the image of my country.

It was almost eight, when I reached on the Manhattan of New york. I was quiet surprised to see the New York . Because it was my first time in such cosmopolitan city. The buildings, roads and cars were the shocking things for me. I had 7.00 am ticket to California so it was early to go airport. I planed there to be early because I did not know any thing about the route and I planned to catch the last bus from Manhattan to JFK airport. But later I new that subway service is available to go there at any time. So I decided to take sub way just few hours ago of my reporting time. I past few hours by taking coffee and pizza but became so boared after few hours on sitting there since no body was there to talk with me. So I decided to go airport and take some rest there. It was almost 12 am and I did not know the route to JFK airport from there. I went directly to the subway ticket counter and asked them the route to JFK airport. They gave me direction but I could not remember where I had to get off so I took the map from them and proper location. I paid seven dollars for the subway and air train which was suppose to take me up to JFK airport terminal. I went directly on the subway to take but I am confused which one to take . I saw the map and took one.Later I knew that the subway which I took was going wrong direction. I was frightened to be lost in such city, eventhough I had enough time so I was able to keep my passions. Then I asked to the one gentleman who was almost 50, for the location how to go JFK , he showed me map and said that you are in wrong direction but remain in seat the same train will be back and had to lake long way. I relaxed after his proper direction and reached on the station to catch air train after near about 45 minutes. It was easy to follow the direction since every where there was sign to follow . I might not able to do all that very easily if did not have any experience of Montreal metro station.

Once again I followed the airtrain which took me up to terminal of Delta airlines which I was going to take. I went directly to terminal but no body was there...It was just 1 am and still there four hours remain for reporting. When I did not saw anybody inside the domestic terminal I was so frightned that what to do, since they have strong security measures . There was no chance to wait out side of the terminal because it was freezing cold. I immdiatley decide to go back in the airtrain station, where at least I could met other passengers and feel secure. So was waiting to go back the airtrain, sweepers were there to clean the floor. They were surprised to see me alone in that building and talked each other in spanish. One of them became so kind and asked me in broken english where are you from and want to go ? I told truth to them that I became four hours earlier to report and I want to sleep few hours. The lady with short hair advised me to take airtrain and go to terminal four where I could get enough space to sleep and eat. It was simple suggestion but rescue for me. I thanked them a lot and reached on terminal four by taking airtrain. I found very good system of airtrain, which runs 24 hours and took the passengers to all terminals by air route. I was so impressed to see the facility.

I found the terminal four for international flights and a lot of people were there . Some were sleeping and some were eating . Then I felt relaxed and secure which was not possible in terminal three. Later I knew that domestic terminal do not have enough facility for spending the night. I opend my laptop and get connection of internet. Really it is great facility for the people who travel a lot. I checked my mail and send some mail to Nepal. I made a phone call too. I get slept two hours on the chairs. It was not comfortable and suitable environment to sleep eventhough I was tired and some how relxed in mood so got sleep for hour.

when it was almost 5 am I went back to domestic terminal and made reporting. I may be earliest person for reporting since there was no body on the line. The security persons told me to put off my shoes and laptop from the bag and put it on the tray. I was consious that they will cheked throughly. I was awared that in random checking they can say anything to do, I heard this from my friends who were already there. So I followed their command and finished in few minutes.

The flight took six hours to reach the salt lake city international airport, the transit point to california.The flight was so long because I was travelling United states east coast to west coast. In this sense I got chance to see the almost geography of United states from the plane. It was visible untill it took 10-20 thousand feets but later the plane took 37 thousand feets, higher than the Mount Everest and there was no way except sleep or watch the movie shown in the plane.

I reached on the Oak Land airport of San francisco on 1 pm local time. I was so excited to see the hills and bright sun. I was living in -10 degree since three moths in Montreal so it was obivious me to feel the california as my homeland.

Hari ji was there to receive me on his white car. I thought that he has done great progress in short time. But later knew that there is no way without the car. Car is highly essential to make their travel easier and safer. That is like bycycle in our terai and motorcycyle in city area. The roads are so wide and at least four lanes. Its almost busy at all time. Every one has hurry .

My friendship with Hari ji was not so long and deep but eventhouh he treated me very well. I found his wife is also kind and caring. Both of them were busy in work eventhough they tried their best to please me. They left me the key of room since they have to leave earlier, and used to make a phone call whether I ate food or not ?

I went to San francisco, North Berkley in thier car and ate mo mo in one Nepali resturant. I ate almost two plate of Mo mo and sekuwa... I was in real looking for some Nepali test for months. It was almost Nepali teste, hot chilli and Nepali speaking community. The conflict of Nepal has made many people refugee in this country. I went to San francisco down town and the Port of san francisco where I found one photographer who complained the slow development process of port . We discussed from te Bush foreign policy to China's human rights. He introduced himself as a glamours photographer and still looking for some faces.. In real there was not enough time to discuss about all these topics so we exchanged our cards. When I came back and checked his web sites where I did not found single picture of girls as I thought, but there was all the picuture of the boys... Then I knew that he was a gay glamourous photographer.
Any way the port was excellent. But I felt regreating my self being alone in such lovely and sexy place.Such place are not for the single one.

Few Nepali people I met in San Francisco were so nice and found so helpful. I found many of them would like to go back in own country and live happily, as they used to live before.They seems not so happy from their current jobs but eventhough the issue of future has made them serious and stopped their will to return soon.

But I found a little bit diffrent in New york. The Nepali people who are living in New York area feels themselves as a semi American. I found them hating to speak Nepali language as much as possible. They were trying to copy down some rough words and culture of American society. After every bad situation they were explaining it as a " oh.....FU....bull... " I met some of guys who were already served in higher posts in Nepal and now a days working in resturants. While I was talking with them they were trying to show superior by saying that they are already favoured by the owner. "I made a lot progress in short time actually I was a simply waiter but now I am second man of resturant" one man was counselling himself. I was well known of the hard life of overseas and every body has to do some work to survive themself but even though he was trying to show me his superior complex.

The most interesting part of the New York trip was the chance to see the New York city in tourist bus. It was double decker bus which has sits on top and where we can see around the city very well. There was some Korean, Japanese and French tourists in the bus. The bus started from the Times square and headed to the city. The guide asked the people for their nation to be familier. When I said that I am from Nepal he was surprised. He asked me twice to be conformed. "Yes , I am from Nepal " Every body turned me and gave a look. " Oh ! the economy of world is booming" the guide reacted to me. I don't know the exact meaning of his reaction but he was surprised to see a Nepali toursit on his bus. It is common that many American visits Nepal as a tourist but very few Nepali visits to America as a tourist. I felt proud my self that I was able to give a shock to the people that the Nepali could be a tourist.

The world trade center , which is now known as "ground zero" was heart breaking point for me.Till after the heart -rending attacked of 9\11 this place has not lost its attraction.Our tour guide was explaining us about the day of 9\11 where 3000 people were killed and hundreds survived by hiding on nearby church. I still remembered that day I was just came back from the Karnali













( the least developed area of Nepal )on sept 11,2001 from the shooting. I was there to shoot the poverty and the condition of health of people which was neglected by the state for years. on the same day the terroist attacked the twin towers of New york and completly destroyed it.At that time there were many questions in my mind about the importance of that tower. I saw the live picture on television about the grief of people and their relatives who lost their lives on that attack. It was my luck to be there after four years on the spot to solve my curiousity . Where I found that two buildings were on the heart of financial area of New york as their pride. They were major attarctions of New york city too. Now a days they are not alive in physically but still in every New Yorkers memories. Still after the four years of that incident people are visiting on "ground zero" to pay their sympathy. The remaining parts of the building laying on the ground recalled me the day when the world was shocked and frightened. There was not single Nepali was dead in that place but eventhough I couldnot stopped my self from crying when I recalled that day and the breathtaking moment which swept out thousands of lives at a time.

1 comment:

Jitu'cha said...

Reflection of you is nice and creative as well. I am good to know your views on 9/11 which difinitely wrenched people's heart beyond any measures and mine is one of them. Thanks for sharing pictures.